Our current times are filled with immense uncertainty and tension. The COVID-19 health crisis and political uproar have caused even more stress in an already disturbed environment. It is not abnormal to be experiencing a bit of fear and hopelessness in the wake of these events, especially while moving through the addiction recovery process.
One accessible and positive way to refocus your attention on the transformative recovery process is through mantras. Mantras (repeated words or statements) have been used for over three thousand years, having a rich history steeped in ancient Indian culture.
Traditionally, mantras were chanted in tones that would help people feel more connected and centered. Today, mantras are integrated into yoga classes, various meditation practices, and many types of ceremonies. Mantras allow a person to reconnect with themselves through powerful words and sound. They are also commonly used as positive phrases of motivation that may help ease stress and tension.
Here are a few examples of addiction recovery statements that could be used as mantras:
- I must reveal it to heal it.
- Self-care is an act of self-love.
- One day, one hour, one minute at a time.
- I am in charge of my life story.
In addition to mantras, inspirational quotes that resonate with you may prove exceptionally beneficial to your recovery process. Research suggests that motivational quotes tailored for specific cases can help improve self-esteem and empower individuals to feel more control in their lives.
Consider the wise words below. Choose one or two that resonate with you and memorize them–or write them down and put them in a place where you see them often.
- “Great acts are made up of small deeds.” ~ Lao Tzu
- “I understood myself only after I destroyed myself. And only in the process of fixing myself did I know who I really was.” ~ Sade Andria Zabala
- “Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles and you have to change it.” ~Jamie Lee Curtis
- “There is no shame in beginning again, for you get a chance to build bigger and better than before.” ~Leon Brown
- “You can’t think your way into right action, but you can act your way into right thinking.” ~Bill Wilson
- “You don’t get over an addiction by stopping using. You recover by creating a new life where it’s easier to not use. If you don’t create a new life, then all the factors that brought you to your addiction will catch up with you again.” ~Unknown
- “People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them.” ~ George Bernard Shaw
- “If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.” ~Will Rogers
- “Even in the midst of devastation, something within us always points the way to freedom.” ~ Sharon Salzberg
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
- “Recovery is hard. Regret is harder.” ~ Brittany Burgunder
We Are Here to Help
St. Gregory believes in the power of positive daily inspiration for those facing the uncertainty and stress of the recovery process. We are here for you and your loved ones, to guide you along your recovery journey and toward your sobriety goals. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time regarding our facility and our programs. We are accepting new patients and would love to help you begin your path to healing.