The New Standard For Recovery
What makes us different from other treatment centers?
Just about everything.
St. Gregory Retreat Centers offers an exclusive residential program in a comfortable, safe, and positive environment. There are separate Retreat Centers for men and women so guests are able to experience successes utilizing our program while avoiding the cold, sterile environment found in hospital or institutional settings. Our Retreat Centers are designed to make you feel safe and comfortable as you focus on changing your life.
St. Gregory is the only program in the world that combines these crucial, evidence-based elements of recovery:
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Behavior Modification Training
- Neurocognitive Therapy (Cognitive Skills Training)
- Health & Wellness Program
- Comprehensive Life Planning and Recovery Life Coaching
It’s a dependency brought on by your choices.
The St. Gregory Centers are very different from other alcohol and drug rehab centers because we recognize that addictions are not forever. Substance abuse creates damage and changes to the reward center of your brain which alters your ability to make positive choices, you are stuck. Our program is designed to repair this damage and to help you understand why and how it occurred and what to do about it.
Since the addictions begin with your choices, it is essential to learn the skills necessary to make different choices once the damage is repaired. People learn through experience how to handle their lives and confront the problems they face in all situations. To understand that addiction is a dependency of choice is not to say that a drug or alcohol abuser properly weighed the pros and cons and made an objective decision to be an addict or alcoholic. The truth is, people learn behaviors that make them feel comfortable and choose to use those behaviors.
Drugs and alcohol create an artificial sense of normalcy and functionality that is perceived as positive and essential. When someone begins to recognize this and incorporates substance use into their everyday life as a coping tool or to feel “normal”, the cycle of dependency begins.
Just as important to changing your life is repairing the damage caused by substance abuse. This damage occurs to your neurotransmitters, which control depression, anxiety, and cravings. Our program is able to correct these chemical imbalances and provide a more stable platform for recovery.
Another crucial aspect to our recovery program addresses your ability to process information, which through substance abuse is usually somewhat diminished. It is essential to begin rebuilding the neurocognitive processes such as memory, attention, communication and problem solving in order to best retain and make use of what you will be learning in our program. No other treatment center in the world has integrated these state-of-the-art therapies to ensure complete healing.
Once your body and mind are on their way to a restored state, we can begin the work of helping you to transform your life. People normally learn to cope with problems and social situations in a way that creates positive outcomes.
However, since drugs and alcohol create an artificial sense of functionality that is perceived as positive and essential. The key to reversing this cycle is to provide the tools necessary for an individual to learn new life skills and behavior modification skills utilizing state-of-the art Cognitive Behavior Training (CBT).
People inherently want to be happy and have purpose: to have joy in their lives. And though it never is a pathway to sustained happiness, this is why the shortcut through alcohol and drug abuse is so alluring. Our program demonstrates through a unique process that there is so much more to life than quick fixes. St. Gregory’s details three phases of change that, when completed in order, transform lives:
1. Assessment & Repair. Before individuals can begin to change, they must understand who they are, where they are in life, their physical condition, and who and where they want to be. The first step is to honestly evaluate your current position and assess your skills, values, and physical condition. Once this is accomplished, you can begin to form a realistic plan.
Our staff is trained to effectively guide our guests through this process. In addition, we recognize that the path you have been on has, in many cases, ravaged your health, neurotransmitter functionality, and neurocognitive abilities. Our program begins by testing and addressing these areas to allow you to heal and become “healthy enough” to recover via our neutraceuticals and neurocognitive therapy, and by laying the foundation of what you learn during your stay. Our unique program will start to rebuild your vitamin and nutrient levels, repair chemical imbalances in your brain, and rebuild your cognitive abilities, all while reducing cravings, anxiety, and depression.
2. Skills Training and Cognitive Behavior Modification Training. At the core of the program is the most basic of principles: By human nature we want to be happy and satisfied with life. When life is not producing that satisfaction, people try to artificially create what is missing. Our program identifies, teaches, and trains the skills necessary to gain satisfaction with life naturally and normally, without artificial substances. Most of the guests here already have a basic understanding of what we are teaching but may not be fully utilizing these fundamentals of life: especially considering that in most cases, other programs will discharge their clients before they have addressed the cravings and cognitive impairment issues.
3. Creating a comprehensive future plan built on assessed talents, positive goals, and finding joy in career, as well as in relationships with family and friends. This third phase of change provides the gateway to a new life. It is imperative that the guest have a well-constructed plan before returning home. Being prepared for the future makes the transition from the program to the individual’s life at home an energizing opportunity, a pleasure rather than a source of anxiety.
Upon completion, guests return home to their families, jobs, or school as motivated, productive people.
Our graduates tell their stories…